- Прочитайте тексты, письменно выполните задания после текстов.
An Industrial Pharmacy
- An industrial pharmacy is one of the types of pharmacies which produces prescription prepared medicines, stores and sells them and prescription and non-prescription ready-made drugs, and other medical goods.
- An industrial pharmacy consists of two departments: a chemist’s depart-ment and a prescription one, an aseptic room, special working rooms and adminis-trative offices. The chemist’s department sells non-prescription ready-made medi-cines, which are given out immediately at a patient’s request. These drugs are man-ufactured at pharmaceutical plants. The second one sells prescription ready-made and prepared medicines, which are given out at a doctor’s prescription. The pre-pared medicines are produced at this pharmacy.
- Inside the chemist’s department clients can see a trade-hall with a counter, show-cases and drug cabinets.
In the show-case with drugs people can see such dosage forms as powders, pills, tThe glass show-case with things for medical care contains thermometers, hot water bottles, cotton-wool, bandages, mustard-plasters, syringes and so on.
Parents can find all necessary things for their babies in the special show-case with dummy teats, dosage bottles, pampers, tooth rings, etc.
In the show-case with hygienic accessories clients can see tooth-paste, tooth-brushes, gels, creams, powders, soap, shampoo, conditioners and other specific things.
Also there is a special show-case containing dried herbs and berries, special teas and collections.
- The assortment of the prescription department consists of prescription med-icines, including strong–effective ones, narcotics and other medical goods.
It usually takes from 1 hour to some days to prepare a prescription. But if there is a word «cito» in the prescription, the pharmacist should prepare the drug immediately in the presence of a client.
- Giving out a medicine a pharmacist should explain how to use it and show a special instruction about it. The working place of a pharmacist is behind a coun-ter.
The pharmacist who prepares medicines is a pharmacist-technologist. His/her working place is supplied with a sectional table, a computer, some cupboards and revolving stands for prepared medicines and a refrigerator.
The pharmacist who analyses and controls the quality of dosage forms is called a pharmacist-analyst.
- All the medicines are kept in the drug-cabinets and on the open shelves, so that a pharmacist could find the necessary drug very quickly, not to make the pa-tient wait. Some medicines which need low temperatures are stored in a refrigera-tor. The drugs are kept according to their therapeutic effects: drugs for cough, for flu, drugs for headache, and cardiac, sedative, tonic medicines and so on.
- Antitussive drugs are amongst the most widely used medications world-wide; however no new class of drugs has been introduced into the market for many years.
- Anyone who catches a cold knows the feeling of a cough. Cough is a nat-ural reflex that helps to protect the body from infections. It plays an important role in clearing the throat and other air passages of secretions and irritating particles. These particles include dust, food, liquids, and mucus. A cough occurs in three dis-tinct steps.
- Coughs associated with colds can be either productive or nonproductive. A productive cough helps clear the respiratory passages of the lung. A nonproduc-tive cough is brought on by a minor irritation and has a limited benefit.
- There are two types of active ingredients in a nonprescription cough drugs including expectorants and cough suppressants.
- An expectorant is a material that aids in the removal of phlegm from the respiratory tract. It works by blocking the sensory nerves that are involved in trig-gering a cough. While many expectorants are available, data about their functional-ity is not stated. Some clinicians even question whether expectorants are effective.
- Antitussives, which are cough suppressants, work in a variety of ways af-fecting either the lungs, muscles, or brain.
- One of the members of this group of drugs is Tessalon Perles.
- a) Соотнесите абзацы в тексте из части 1 (1-6) с их подзаголовками (а-f):
- a) The specialists of an industrial pharmacy and their duties.
- b) The assortment of the prescription department at an industrial pharmacy.
- c) The definition of an industrial pharmacy.
- d) The structure of an industrial pharmacy.
- e) The assortment of the chemist’s department at an industrial pharmacy.
- f) The storage of medical goods at an industrial pharmacy.
- b) Соотнесите названия дозированных форм с их определением:
- pill a) A small device with medicine to breathe in through the mouth.
- suppository b) An oily liquid to rub on painful body parts to reduce pain.
- aerosol c) A smooth, thick substance to rub on the skin for healing.
- drops d) A small, round piece of medicine to be swallowed without chewing.
- ointment e) A medication on material or cloth placed on the skin.
- inhaler f) A container with a liquid that is administered in spray form.
- patch g) A solid medicine which melts slowly in the rectum or vagina.
- syrup h) A liquid in which another substance has been dissolved.
- liniment i) A sweet , liquid medicine taken with a spoon or cup.
- solution j) A very small amount of liquid that forms a round shape.
с) Ответьте письменно на следующие вопросы к 1 части текста:
- What is an industrial pharmacy?
- What does an industrial pharmacy consist of?
- What is there inside the chemist’s department?
- What department can people buy prescription medicines at?
- Which show-cases are there in the pharmacy?
- Which dosage forms can people buy there?
- What can parents buy for their babies?
- Which things for medical care can people see at the chemist’s department?
- Which hygienic accessories are there in the pharmacy?
- What else can clients get there?
- What are the duties of a pharmacist at an industrial pharmacy?
- Where is the working place of the pharmacist at the chemist’s department?
- What are the duties of a pharmacist-technologist at industrial pharmacy?
- What is the working place of a pharmacist-technologist supplied with?
- What are the duties of a pharmacist-analyst?
- Where are medicines kept at an industrial pharmacy?
- How are medicines kept? Why?
III. а) Выпишите номера абзацев части 1, в которых содержится ответ на вопрос:
What is the difference in the action of expectorants and antitussive drugs?
- b) Перепишите и переведите предложения, в которых содержится ответ на этот вопрос.
- Перепишите предложения; подчеркните глагол-сказуемое и опреде-лите его видовременную форму и залог; напишите форму инфинитива. Предложения переведите.
- Robert Koch showed that specific diseases are caused by specific microorgan-isms.
- The drug is being monitored for possible complications.
- Our scientists made great attempts in search of new cardiac drugs last year.
- Перепишите предложения, подчеркните глагол “to do” и определите является ли он смысловым, вспомогательным или словом-заместителем. Предложения переведите.
- The researcher often does many experiments to obtain good results.
- The doctor works in the health care system as pharmacist does.
- They do not often use drugs for headache.
- Выпишите предложения, где конструкции с глаголами
«to have», «to be» выражают долженствование, предложения переведите.
- New drugs have to be tested for safety and efficacy.
- The liver has many functions vital to the body.
- The tablets are to be taken during or after meal with a little liquid.
- Plants are highly important sources of food for man.
- This drug is indicated after the consultation with the physician.
VII. Перепишите предложения, подчеркните в каждом придаточное предложение; подчинительный союз или союзное слово обведите круж-ком; при бессоюзном подчинении укажите на место, где мог бы нахо-диться опущенный союз. Предложения переведите.
- An element is a substance which consists of only one kind of atom.
- Only few scientists of that time knew that Mendeleyev had discovered the Peri-odic law.
- The new medicine the doctor speaks about has beneficial therapeutic effect.
- Researchers know the investigation of these phenomena will get good results.
- Pharmacist who works at the chemist’s department is called pharmacist-technologist.
VIII. Определите функцию причастия в предложении (см. образец 1)
- часть сказуемого
- We’ll be studying the management and the economy of pharmacy in the 4th year.
- The chemists looked at the boiling water.
- You should be careful when boiling water.
- Water is boiled by the chemists.
- When boiled some substances change colour.
- Boiled vegetables lose some of the vitamins.
- Перефразируйте предложения, используя страдательный залог (см. образец 3).
- The pharmacists will be packing the new medicines from 2 till 4 o’clock tomor-row.
- They are repairing the refrigerator now.
- The chemists were conducting the experiment at 2 o’clock yesterday.